Tuesday 3 June 2014

Paleo Coco-Apple Cookies

Have I told you that I have an apple tree? It lives on my front yard. Small children come and steal apples from it as I stare out at them in excitement that I can provide fresh food for the neighbourhood. I try not to look creepy, but something tells me that peering out from behind a curtain inside the house is not the way to go about this.

Don't leave now! I have something yummy to share!
Apples from my apple tree
As winter sets in, the fruits of my labour someone else’s hard work are falling to the ground and dwindling in supplies. As I am a bit of a stickler for not wasting food, I realised that I had to make something with all of these fallen apples and I had to do it quick. I also did not want a lot of fuss. And I did not want it to be an overly expensive production (like my $50 paleo no-bake mixed berry cheesecake, which was worth every penny). Having a look at the ingredients in my cupboard, I decided I would attempt to make cookies.

I’m not much of a cookie person. I find they are never as good as expected (unless you have the triple choc cookies from Subway in Tamworth. I have no idea what they did to those cookies, but damn they were good!). So I was pleasantly surprised when these cookies turned out as delicious as they did! So delicious that I have trouble stopping at 1! I hope you enjoy these little morsels of goodness as much as I do.

Coco-Apple Cookies (makes 15 cookies)


Ingredients
  • 2 cups red apple, chopped (skin on)
  • 1 cup dessicated coconut
  • 1 cup raw almonds (activated, if you wish)
  • 1T coconut oil, melted
  • 1-3 tsp cinnamon (I have abnormally intense cinnamon at the moment, so only used 1tsp, but feel free to use more)
  • A few grinds of vanilla bean powder (or ¼- ½ tsp vanilla powder; more if using vanilla extract)
  • 3 eggs 

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C
  2. Prepare a baking/cookie tray with baking paper
  3. Add all ingredients, except eggs, to a food processor and blend for a few seconds until ingredients are combined (they do not have to be smooth – lumps and chunks are fun, if you’re a texture-lover like me!)
  4. Combine this mixture with the eggs in a mixing bowl and mix well
  5. Spoon out dollops of mixture (about 1T each) and place on cookie tray. Use the back of a fork to spread the mixture out into more of a “pattie” shape
  6. Bake until set – about 20-30mins (check at 20 – dry cookies suck)
And in case you can't figure out whether or not to eat the cookies….
Image via Alex Hayward, Pinterest

That's all today. Nice and short! Be kind to yourself, and others (hint hint – share your cookies!). x

No comments:

Post a Comment